As part of our ongoing evaluation of ticket prices, we are excited to announce that we will be offering special £5 tickets for audience members aged 18 and under. Since the Pandemic, we recognise that it is ever more important that young people can go out and experience cultural events, without the concern of cost, especially given the current economic climate. We believe that every young person deserves the chance to be captivated by the magic of cultural performance, and research has consistently shown that engaging in the arts has a profoundly positive impact on young minds. This initiative is our way of ensuring that these benefits are accessible to everyone, regardless of financial constraints.
Our Youth Access scheme offers £5 tickets to under 18s to a variety of different events, from live streams of theatre, opera and ballet to classical concerts.
Research has long supported the idea that experiencing the arts, such as attending theatre performances, can have a transformative effect on young people. Here are some of the ways in which the arts positively impact the next generation:
- Cognitive Development: Studies have demonstrated that exposure to the arts, including live theatre, can enhance critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and creativity in young minds. It encourages them to think outside the box and approach challenges with an open and imaginative mindset.
- Emotional Intelligence: Attending performances allows young people to connect with the emotions and experiences of the characters on stage. This, in turn, helps them develop greater empathy and emotional intelligence, essential skills for navigating the complexities of life.
- Improved Academic Performance: Research indicates a correlation between involvement in the arts and improved academic achievement and students who engage with the arts tend to perform better in subjects like math and science.
- Boosted Confidence and Self-expression: Young people who participate in or attend artistic events often experience increased self-confidence and self-expression. It provides a safe space for them to express themselves, fostering a sense of identity and self-worth.
- Cultural Awareness: Exposure to a variety of artistic performances broadens a young person’s understanding of different cultures, traditions, and perspectives. This not only encourages acceptance but also promotes a more inclusive and tolerant society.
A full list of the events where £5 tickets are available can be found here